Saturday, April 10, 2010

Faces Quilt



This is the quilt that I made for Voices in Cloth 2010. When I began my Faces project on 1/1/2010 I considered it a daily practice project. I tried not to think about what I was going to do with the work. I had another idea for a quilt for the show but somehow, I couldn't get motivated to make the other quilt. As the deadline for submissions neared, I received encouragement to experiment with pieces I had been "sketching." I took the first 49 faces and thought of them as an "album" and stitched them together with bits of hand-dyed cotton. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it as it is hanging at the show. Each of the faces measures about 4-1/2" square. The quilt is about 31" square.

The other "issue" is that the fabric for the squares has changed over the course of the project. Initially, I started with something that I had for another project, already sandwiched. It was a pale batik, cotton batting, and fusible interfacing for the back. It was 4 inches wide. It required no planning or thinking. I used it for Nos. 1-3. I was unable to find any more of that so I bought something else. I ran out of the second fabric at No. 69. Of course, I could find no more of that either but I did find something close to the first fabric. I am thinking about changing to print cloth when I run out of the third fabric.

5 comments:

Terry said...

This is so excellent! What a great format for all your faces. This is one of those pieces that will have a big crowd standing in front of it carefully examining each face.

Gerrie said...

Looks fantastic. I think using a variety of fabric will give the resulting body of work more texture. Congrats to you for staying with this.

Christine Thresh said...

It is neat to see all those faces together.
I can't wait for your report on the crowd reaction.

Dolores said...

This is just so wonderful.

Anonymous said...

So Joan, really nice going! I'm hearing about it in tuesday night's class. Missing you...

Bonnie